Thursday 15 August 2013

guest post: bourjois colour boost lip crayon review & comparison

Today we've got a guest post from the lovely Phillipa, who's going to share her thoughts on the new Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayons and how they compare to the Clinique Chubby Sticks!

Hello! My name is Phillipa; I am a 15 year old makeup lover and author of the blog Nerdy Girly Beauty. Today I am going to be reviewing the Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayons, and then I shall be comparing them to the Clinique Chubby Sticks.

THE REVIEW
I picked up the Bourjois Colour Boost in the shade Red Sunrise a few weeks ago (£7.99 from Boots) after hearing about the product from bloggers and YouTubers. After swatching the colour in store I immediately fell in love with it and bought it that second! The colour is a gorgeous bright red colour with a hint of pink, and it is perfect for a wearable red lip to suit many a skin tone.
The lip crayon applies easily, and immediately feels very moisturising; it is similar to a chapstick with much more pigmentation. It is also very easy to apply it lightly for a sheer bit of colour, or to layer it on for a bolder look, and the pigmentation is very good for a drugstore lippy.
This lipstick claims to last for ten hours and be waterproof: I haven’t exactly put those claims to the test, but I did find it to last a hot afternoon cycling around town, and on that day the SPF 15 was a nice bonus! It has lasted a few hours at a time, only needing to be reapplied after I eat.
Overall I would recommend this product if you want a moisturising, long lasting lipstick at not too bad a price.

THE COMPARISON
One thing I noticed as soon as I saw this product was its similarity to the Clinique Chubby Sticks, which I picked up in the shade Mega Melon – a natural bronze-pink tone – this time last year (£17 from John Lewis).
As I have these two lipsticks in such different colours it would be hard to compare colours from what I own, but what I can compare is the range of colours available. The Chubby Sticks had been around for over a year by the time Colour Boost was launched, so by now the range is more established and there are many more shades – 16 for Clinique compared to 4 for Bourjois. Both brands provide a good variety of colours: Bourjois offers a red, a dark pink, an orange and a peach, while Clinique has variants of these colours as well as some more brown and purple shades. For the range of colours available, Clinique wins it for now, but I expect that in time Bourjois will be selling many colours.
As for the pigmentation, I was surprised to find that the Chubby Sticks tend to be more sheer than the Colour Boost crayons, but the Chubby Sticks do also feel a bit more glossy and moisturising on the lips. Which one you think is better depends on whether you place more importance on the pigmentation or the moisturising aspect.
The packaging of both colours is very similar – you can definitely tell where Bourjois got their inspiration from! They are almost exactly the same size and both have a silver section to twist up the crayon. The Chubby Stick packaging does feel sturdier, and the twisty bit (what do you call that, anyway?) is smoother (the lettering on the Chubby Stick has lasted much longer too, but that’s neither here nor there).

All in all, these two lipsticks are very similar, and I think if you picked up either one you wouldn't be disappointed. I have to say, if I were to buy another I would lean towards the Bourjois Colour Boosts as they are half the price, but for the colour options I would probably be more likely to find what I wanted from Clinique.

Thanks to Phillipa for the great review, I think I'm going to have to nip down to Boots and pick up one (or two!) of the Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayons soon. Be sure to check out Phillipa's blog over at Nerdy Girly Beauty.

6 comments:

  1. I really want to try the bourjois lip crayons they are such pretty colours! :)

    laurenlovesmakeupxoxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! This is Phillipa, the girl who wrote the post.
      You should so try them, and I agree the colours are so gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I looooove the colour of that Bourjois one! I bought it in Peach on the Beach which is also a gorgeous colour :)
    xxx

    www.sarah-nunn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! This is Phillipa, I wrote this post :)
      Peach on the beach looks like a really good colour too! The lip crayons are so nice, aren't they :)

      Delete
  3. Phillipa this is a great post - the intense Chubby sticks love great!
    Natasha, we've nominated you for the Liebster award - its essentially a beauty blogger questionnaire. Come visit - we would love to read your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bourjois lip crayons, I have the Orange Punch and Peach On The Beach and I'm using them all the time! xx

    Justine | BRIGHTON DREAM

    ReplyDelete